While families often wish to care for a person with a disability or an elderly loved one at home, this isn’t always the easiest option. Because caring for someone who can no longer live safely on their own is a big job, Adult Family Care (AFC) is here to help.
Contact Open Sky’s Adult Family Care program. You’ll begin with a telephone interview and complete an application process. If appropriate, an AFC placement specialist will contact you for a personal home/family interview. The AFC Office Hours are Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:30pm.
For information about Adult Family Care services in North Worcester County, call (978)-958-0214 or e-mail email@example.com
For information about Adult Family Care services in South Norfolk County, Middlesex County, or the remaining areas of Worcester County, call (508) 266-6524 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
AFC is a program that provides both financial support and practical assistance to families who are caring for a family member at home. A family member qualifies if they are over the age of 16, either disabled or elderly, meet eligibility requirements and need assistance with one or more of the tasks of daily living such as bathing, eating or dressing. Adult Family Care is also available to help support qualifying individuals placed in homes with caregivers who are not relatives.
• The person receiving services must be 16 years of age or older
• He or she must need assistance with one or more activities of daily living
• He or she must be eligible for MassHealth
• The person is unable to live on their own
The benefits of becoming an AFC caregiver include:
• Tax-free monthly stipend
• Ongoing nursing support
• Training and professional support
• The personal satisfaction that comes from helping someone grow and live as independently as possible
The responsibilities of a caregiver include:
• Assistance with personal care
• Providing medication reminders and assistance
• Providing transportation to medical appointments and social activities
• Maintaining a clean, safe home