Adult Family Care
While families often wish to care for a person with a disability or an elderly loved one at home, this isn’t always the easiest option. Because caring for someone who can no longer live safely on their own is a big job, Adult Family Care (AFC) is here to help.
AFC is a program that provides both financial support and practical assistance to families who are caring for a family member at home. A family member qualifies if they are over the age of 16, either disabled or elderly, meet eligibility requirements and need assistance with one or more of the tasks of daily living such as bathing, eating or dressing. Adult Family Care is also available to help support qualifying individuals placed in homes with caregivers who are not relatives.
• The person receiving services must be 16 years of age or older
• He or she must need assistance with one or more activities of daily living
• He or she must be eligible for MassHealth
• The person is unable to live on their own
The benefits of becoming an AFC caregiver include:
• Tax-free monthly stipend
• Ongoing nursing support
• Training and professional support
• The personal satisfaction that comes from helping someone grow and live as independently as possible
The responsibilities of a caregiver include:
• Assistance with personal care
• Providing medication reminders and assistance
• Providing transportation to medical appointments and social activities
• Maintaining a clean, safe home
Contact Open Sky’s Adult Family Care program. You’ll begin with a telephone interview and complete an application process. If appropriate, an AFC placement specialist will contact you for a personal home/family interview.
For information about Adult Family Care services in North Worcester County, call (978)-958-0214 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For information about Adult Family Care services in South Norfolk County, Middlesex County, or the remaining areas of Worcester County, call (508) 266-6524 or e-mail email@example.com
Open Your Home & Your Heart Become a Shared Living Provider
Find out about the personal and financial benefits of being a Shared Living Provider with Open Sky’s Shared Living Program.
Our Shared Living programs allow adults with disabilities to become part of a host family, with all of the benefits and responsibilities that sharing a life and a household entail. The host family helps the individual connect with the wider community and provides the necessary personal assistance and training. Open Sky’s visiting nurses and service coordinators stand ready to provide expert assistance when necessary.
In exchange for providing companionship, support and social opportunities you will receive a generous tax free stipend each month.
For more information or to schedule a meeting to start the process please email:
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-266-6576
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience in Human Services and advocating for people with developmental and psychiatric disabilities is preferred but not required
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation
- Satisfactory background check